You know success is all about hard work, but what you might not know is that the toughest and most important work you will ever do is when no one else is around. It is this type of hard work that takes people from being good to great. It is the work that gets you ahead of the game, and allows you to stand out especially when the game is on the line. It is the work that you do on your own when no one is watching.
Many people are very good at working hard when they are supervised, but when the boss, parent, coach, or teacher turns their head instead of staying focused and working hard they see it as a time to slack off. It is a time to take a break. This is what separates those who make is big and achieve greatness, and those who simply don’t make it. Their inability to work on their own and to be discipline when not supervised.
Working and practicing on your own is all about you. It is about your discipline, your expectations of yourself, your commitment to quality focused work, and being the best you can be. There is no one there to watch you, so it all falls upon you to work hard, work smart, and get the job done.
The work you do while no one is watching is critical to improving your performance. It also is critical towards building real work ethic, and work ethic is a huge variable when it comes to achieving success. To help you on your way, I have provided 6 key steps to working on your own. Follow these key steps and you should have great success the next time you have to work on your own.
6 Key Steps to Working on Your Own:
- Have a plan on what you have to accomplish and how to get the job done
- Make sure you have everything you need to work effectively on your own (tools, supplies, resources, materials, equipment, books, computer, etc)
- Stay focused on the task at hand. Do the job right and do it the best you can. Give your all!
- Know what you have to do. Go in with a plan and a list of what you need to and want to accomplish
- Do quality work, doing bad work when no one is watching leads to bad habits
- Make sure you commend yourself for working hard on your own